Sunday, August 3, 2008

College Visits

Yes, I'm making this a separate post due to the subject matter. We're off to WVU until tomorrow night for a college visit. So far, the oldest has looked at the following schools, in visit order:
  1. Denison (was the early favorite, now not in consideration.)
  2. *Kentucky (visited to shut me up, but he wants to visit again for Midnight Madness and Homecoming this fall. A slim chance, but I don't expect his diploma to say The University of Kentucky.)
  3. *Vanderbilt (remains in his top three. Has the academics and setting he wants, but not his intended major of Sports Management. He'll probably apply just to see if he gets in.)
  4. *Indiana (hated, and I mean HATED this visit. Based on his visit, IU has a School of Business and nothing else even matters in Bloomington. Major disappointment.)
  5. Michigan (Oldest is a huge UM fan. He thought he didn't want to go to a big university, but he said he walked on campus and felt like he was home. It's the dream school. He's got the grades and the test scores, so as long as they accept my baby *and* IF they offer enough $ to make it attainable for him, I have no doubt he'll be in Ann Arbor in August 2009.)
  6. Butler (surprisingly impressed here, and thinking hard about applying.)
  7. Purdue (loved it, but doesn't offer his intended major.)
  8. Northwestern (wasn't impressed. Yes, my kid was not impressed by Northwestern. I love this child!)
  9. Ohio Northern (very surprised and impressed by this one. He's ready to schedule an individual overnight visit this fall.)
  10. West Virginia (I know, it doesn't exactly fit with the rest of these, but something about WVU interests him, so we're visiting. Has the major and is D1. We'll see.)
He still wants to visit *Toledo , *Miami and probably *Bowling Green . We're insisting he check out a couple of in-state public schools because of the money thing. I mean, a full ride in state vs. a partial ride out of state will make his life a lot easier after graduation. We'll see, he's done his part with academics and such, now it's up to him to write applications and hunt down scholarship applications.

Oh, the schools with this ( *) just means that there's a collegiate chapter of my social sorority on campus. He could care less about the Greek scene, but as a mom, if it means there's someone I can call if my kid needs help it makes a difference. Just another unexpected but fantastic benefit of sorority membership!

No comments: